Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Yeah, I'm bored.

Here are a few things you guys should not do during CNY or you'll get BAD LUCK FOREVER 8D.

Actually, I don't believe in these things at all but I find them kinda funny and I'm bored, so....



1) Buying a pair of shoes is considered bad luck amongst some Chinese. The character for "shoe" (鞋) is a homophone for the character 諧/谐, which means "rough" in Cantonese; in Mandarin it is also a homophone for the character for "evil" (邪).
I HEARD SOMEBODY SAYING 'OOPS!'

2) Getting a hair-cut in the first lunar month puts a curse on maternal uncles. Therefore, people get a hair-cut before the New Year's Eve.

3) Washing your hair is also considered to be washing away one's own luck (although modern hygienic concerns take precedence over this tradition)
HAHAHA AT THIS ONE. I wonder how much luck I still have in my hair???

4) Sweeping the floor is usually forbidden on the first day, as it will sweep away the good fortune and luck for the new year.

5) Saying words like "finished" and "gone" is inauspicious on the New Year, so sometimes people would avoid these words by saying "I have eaten my meal so that it disappeared" rather than say "I have finished my meal."
ISN'T 'DISAPPEARED' THE SAME AS 'GONE'???

6) Talking about death is inappropriate for the first few days of Chinese New Year, as it is considered inauspicious.

7) Buying books is bad luck because the character for "book" (書/书) is a homonym to the character for "lose" (輸/输).
YES YOU GUYS BETTER NOT START STUDYING FOR A'LEVELS NOW OKAY. (I wonder how the china scholars do it, I bet they're studying now??)

8) Avoid clothes in black and white, as black is a symbol of bad luck, and white is a traditional Chinese funeral colour.

9) Foul language is inappropriate during the Chinese New Year.
(Damn what is this do you see that?? Its okay I don't use much anyway 8D)

10) Offering anything in fours, as the number four (四), pronounced , can sound like "death" (死) in Chinese. See tetrophobia.





I actually have alot of stuff to write about but I ended talking anyway :P

REMEMBER TO NOT WASH YOUR HAIR OR BUY BOOKS HAHA!!!

No comments: